Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Imintje Community Camp

    May 25, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    May 25. Day 23

    Imintje Community Camp

    1230/1715. 90 KM

    We were a little slow getting going this morning. Maybe a little drained after the tyre dramas of the evening before?! A pleasant breakfast followed by a coffee. No barista job, but an acceptable coffee press job off the van stove.

    Headed off on foot to the Manning Gorge at about 09:30. First challenge was to cross the river. Strip off down to bathers and swim across the river pushing your gear in a plastic tub conveniently provided. Otherwise provide your own dry bag as Chris did. A pleasant walk of about 45 minutes had us at Manning Gorge. Stunning. Has the reputation of being one of the best 3 gorges along the GRR. The others being Emma Gorge and Bells Gorge. We concur! And Bells verdict will be tomorrow. Very impressive vista. Lots of people enjoying it all, swimming in the main pool below. I scrambled up the rock face to check it out all above the falls. A lovely white sandy beach fringed a beautiful pool. No one else up there. Except a cane toad. He is no longer. They are grotesque creatures. Apparently if a Johnstone crocodile eats one they can die within 3 minutes. So toxic. There were crocodile tracks on the sand but did not see any. Johnson crocs seem rather shy and avoid human contact. They are harmless. Not like their saltwater brethren. Salties can penetrate up to 200 km upstream from the ocean and live happily in fresh water. Nomads be aware!

    We spent an hour at the falls, including a very refreshing swim. An hour later we were back at camp, inclusive of the portage swim across the river. Packed up camp, put 60 psi air pressure into the leaking tyre and headlined back to the road house. A hundred litres of diesel was just shy of $300-. Eek!

    The tyre was holding up but leaking. 30 km later we pulled off the GRR into the Over The Ridge Tyre Centre. Nev lives out there on his own, with the exception of his two dogs and stays there during the wet. One of lifes great characters and a particularly likable guy. So friendly and obliging. Two second hand tyres fitted and a beer to boot and the bill was $300-. An absolute bargain. And he is a pretty dab hand photographer too ( www.overtherange.redbubble.com) He has a couple of albums out for perusal and there are some stunning pics of the wet season. He fixed the tyres in quick time but we ended up there for in excess of two hours chewing the fat about everything and nothing.
    The pressure of limited remaining daylight was soon upon us so it was hit the road again. We took a 5 km diversion off the main road to check out Adcocks Gorge. 5 km of atrocious track ensured. Not at all expected. I would not have taken the van in if we had had an indication of how bad it was. Anyway we parked up and set foot along the 500m track. All worthwhile, another very scenic spot. Not anywhere near the size of Manning, but quiet and rather tranquil.

    Driving through the King Leopold Ranges was very scenic indeed. We both commented that we never took it in when we were heading in the opposite direction on the bikes and following in the car as safety and support. Heads down on the job I guess?!

    We were planning on making it through to the Silent Grove campsite adjacent to Bells Gorge but dusk was beating us. So we elected to camp at Imintje, where we had been a week or so before on the Challenge. Worked well, with cooking and toilet facilities, including a most enjoyable hot shower. Dinner was Greek chicken and rice, again compliments of Lorrraine. Along with edamame beans and green peas. Pretty darn acceptable. We had with us a selection of frozen meals along with an assortment of frozen veggies, all stored in the Engel fridge-freezer in the back of the car.

    I hung in till 9:30 writing this dissertation. Sleep now definitely beckoned!

    Imintje Community Camp Ground

    Really good set-up with toilets, laundry, and hot showers. Camp kitchen facility. Planted trees and a very scenic backdrop of the eastern extremity of the King Leopold Ranges.
    $19-/person/night, unpowered sight.
    No powered sites available, that we could sight.
    No Telstra mbl reception.
    Poor Optus reception.
    Read more