Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Geraldton - Lay day.

    March 30 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    30 March, Saturday.
    Lay-day Geraldton.

    BF: Toast
    Lunch: Sandwiches
    Dinner: Spag Bol & Salad

    Pete had a taxi booked for about 6:30 to take him to the airport for an 8 am flight back to Perth. We said our farewells and agreed would definitely catch up either in Perth or the UK, as he and his wife Liz do a somewhat annual shuttle from Blighty.

    Had breakfast then Les and I did a shop up at Coles and Liquorland. Only a five-minute walk (trolley push!) from the marina, which was very handy. Had a swim at a nice beach about 10 minutes walk away.

    We pumped up the Zodiac runabout and made sure it was all ship shape. Also gave Haywire a good wash down.

    After lunch, we went to the Geraldton Museum which was also only a 5-minute walk from the boat. Excellent display on the early maritime history of the region, especially focusing on the Batavia saga, which is fascinating. Plenty of wreck artifacts on display. Also a very good space exhibition, particularly relating to WA and Australia’s involvement in the Apollo lunar program. Only got about halfway around all the various sections as had not realised the museum closed at 3pm. Oh well, another day. A replica of the Batavia longboat that Pelsaert and a handful of his men sailed to Batavia (Jakarta) is moored in front of the museum. Amazing feat to have made that passage in such a small vessel and in only about 30 days.

    Pete sent us a photo of Pt Denison taken as he flew overhead back to Perth. Took him about 7 minutes to travel what had taken us half a day sailing,

    After a hearty meal of spag bol and salad we were in bed by 7 pm as we planned a 2330 wake up for a midnight departure for the Abrolhos.
    Read more