Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 10

    Geraldton - Guano Jetty, Pelsaert Island

    31. maaliskuuta, Australia ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    31 March, Sunday.
    0015 - 0845. Geraldton - Guano Jetty, Pelsaert. 95km

    BF: Hot X buns
    Lunch: Same, tinned ham
    Dinner: Steak (Dirty Good Food) and veggies.

    The big adventure day!

    We decided on a midnight start as it is a 50nm passage and we were advised to aim to get there by early afternoon or better, as there is then a better chance of getting a mooring. Very substantial moorings are provided by the Dept of Transport, capable of securing 25m boats. But they are few and far between, with six in the S section of the Pelsaert group. Anchoring is less desirable as the water is deepish with a varying bottom. We were advised that the SE area of the Pelsaert group is preferable for the reasons of good fishing, plentiful crays and relatively close proximity to Geraldton.

    The forecast was for 15-20 kt SE winds, which was very favourable for the sailover.

    We cleared the Geraldton shoreline and the wind continued to pick up. 20 kts became 25 to 30 kts, with shifting gusts in excess of 35 kts. The seas continued to rise, the further offshore we went. A hairy night’s passage indeed. Intimidating gusting and shifting winds and seas. In the big gusts the yacht somewhat uncontrollably headed up into the wind. The wind shredded the jib. I spent 6 hours on the helm. Kept me from feeling seasick!

    We arrived at the passage entry point at about 6:15 just on dawn. We needed the daylight to help navigate the somewhat complex and at times narrow passage towards Guano Jetty mooring area. Motored in slowly. The seas had abatted as we were now in the protection of the islands, but the wind was still howling. Luckily there were 2 or 3 moorings available and we were all secured by just before 9am. All very relieved to be there!
    A breakfast of hot cross buns and coffee, followed by a sandwich lunch. Then it was time for an afternoon recovery sleep.

    Lesley cooked a great dinner of steak and veggies. Sure went down well. Beer, vino and port assisted!

    Needless to say, turned in for an early night.
    Lue lisää