Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 7 - Circling around

    May 30, 2023 in England ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Left Jane and Bernards' in Holme and headed through the Lake District, over the Penines and through to Hexham.

    The terrain was incredibly varied and the weather has been quite beautiful for the whole trip.

    The lake district has been a holiday. destination for posh folk since Victorian times. Beautiful hills and lakes. Lately there has been protest about raw sewage going into the lakes. Apperently Steve Coogan's not happy.....i dont blame him.

    From there we went to Keswick, where we pencil museum (!). And them to castlerigg stone circle. A mini stonehenge, built 4500 years before present. I think i felt a small jolt when i touched a stone.

    We ventured further north to Penrith where we visited another stone circle called ' long megg'. This one was much larger and was in a cow paddock. We were the only people there.

    Northward through the Pennines a mountainous and barren area. Still lots of stone walls but the villages are spaced further apart than in the more productive areas. I cant comprehend how many miles of stone walls there are. They are everywhere. Millions of tons of rock moved by human hands over who knows how long.

    After dropping down from the heights of the pennines we arrived at Hexham to stay from the night.

    Jon has finally crashed
    Read more