Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Castles & Cliffs

    December 30, 2019 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    It was a bit of a drizzly day today. Cloudy and rainy we set of in little blue again. Heading east along the coast of Scotland, our aim for the day was to find cliffs overlooking the ocean and a ruined castle. We found both of these a the site of Tantallon Castle, an old castle situated on the edge of a cliff high above the ocean. It was operating back in the 1500s & 1600s. It would have been a pretty epic castle back in it’s hey day. 5 or 6 stories high literally right on the edge of a cliff. It had defensive walls 4 meters thick and was home to a family known as the Douglases. Over the years it was used by different military groups and went under siege in the mid 1600’s. Today it stands as a ruin you can explore at your own risk of falling down the steep spiral staircase up the towers.

    From the castle we drove back into the local town of North Berwick where we found lunch and tea and scones before heading back to Edinburgh. We were trying to make it back to the Palace of Holyrood, the Queens residence in Edinburgh before it closed. However being almost ht send off the year there was absolutely no parking close by. So we parked a bit away and walked it, only to find out they had closed early for the day. A shame we missed it, but I guess we’ll just have to try do it next time.
    It was our last night in this place so we had a lot of proper packing to do before our flight tomorrow morning. So we headed back tot he apartment to get started. Since having our little car we’d kind of just been throwing stuff in as we travelled from place to place, but now tat we had to jump back on a plane we had to get it all sorted. We packed up, managing to cram everything in without extending our suitcase (winning) and headed out for our final dinner in Edinburgh.

    Next stop, Munich (Just the train station) before catching train to Salzburg, Austria.
    Read more