Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Day 65: Amsterdam, Netherlands

    August 24, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    This morning we went to breakfast with one of our roomies and it was pretty good. I had "traditional American pancakes", but their take on traditional American was funny. The pancakes were pretty small. Have they actually visited America and seen their portion sizes? They were really good though.

    After breakfast we rented bikes and made our way to the countryside. It was really nice and we hung out for a bit and enjoyed the quiet in Twiske park. It's such a change from the city and I took the opportunity to read my book.

    When we were heading back, we went to go see the horses and ended up speaking to a nice Dutch lady for about an hour. She let us in to hang out with the horses for a bit, but the pony kept trying to eat me. Her horse was gorgeous though (it's kept with about 5 other horses/ponies) and it was really interesting to hear her stories. We also made quite a few dog friends.

    After we biked to the city, we went in a few stores and then brought our bikes back to our hostel. We then grabbed dinner and went to a show. When we were walking back for the night, there were numerous guys stripping down and jumping in the canal. Amsterdam is a very interesting city.

    We were rushing back to catch what we thought was the last ferry at midnight, but when we realized we wouldn't make it, we took our time. Turns out the 24 written on the board means 24 hours a day and not midnight so we were lucky. If not, we would have had to walk across a bridge (or Uber it) which would have taken an hour instead of the 5 minutes it usually takes.

    P.s. I had a bad hair day today.
    Read more