Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Geneva

    June 19, 2017 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Well here we are, last morning in Geneva. Didn't get a chance to write last night so this it...a day late. If we were able to order up the weather what we're getting is pretty much spot on. Not a cloud in the sky, nice gentle breeze, 28 degrees. Can't say that Geneva is special enough that I'd come back...we walked a fair bit of it yesterday...it is pretty by the lake, easy enough to get around but not a whole lot to see. We started yesterday struggling to find somewhere open for breakfast.Sunday means everything is closed. Only cafes were open, but then quite late. A lot of tourists were wandering around a little aimlessly. We did stop in at the local church that had impressive archeological site excavated underneath it. After mid day drinks by the waters edge we found a great Thai restaurant for lunch and then headed out to the Untied Nations for a look. It turned out to be a bit further out than we thought, caught a tram half way, and to be honest a little underwhelming when we got there. I think we probably spent all of 15 minutes there before jumping on the tram again. You can't actually get close up to the building, security gates all locked and cameras on. Maybe it's a Sunday thing? There is a plaza out the front with water jets spraying and a large 3 legged chair sculpture. Ended the day with drinks and dinner in a restaurant precinct quite near us.
    Today we leave Geneva. We have to go back to the airport to pick up the car and then we head to Zermatt, a town in the Swiss alps, apparently close to the Matterhorn. We can't take the car into town, we catch a train up. We're spending 2 nights there on our way to Lake Como for a week. If this weather holds it'll be spectacular. Challenge for today: find a pharmacy that will sell me something for my head cold
    Read more