Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Headed to Tulum

    October 3, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Today we headed for Tulum not realizing that we’re headed directly into a tropical storm... oops.

    We firstly have a super wet walk to the ADO bus station in Valladolid. Then we have an intense bus ride through the storm needing to frequently stop for one lane traffic due to fallen trees on the road.

    Once we get to Tulum we have an incredibly windy and flooded walk to our Airbnb. We finally reach our Airbnb to find that our host has left us no instruction for entry and is no where to be found. We are left out in the storm for over 3 hours while Auryn bikes to the ADO bus station to access the internet (one of the only places in Tulum with power and internet at the time). I stay behind and guard our things with a neighborhood cat in a small covered area outside our Airbnb. Finally, one of the residents at the Airbnb complex contacts the host and helps us get into our apartment... which we find hasn’t been cleaned yet. Thankfully, our host puts us in a different apartment in the complex.

    When we finally get situated in our Airbnb we head to the grocery store to buy candles which proves to be more difficult than expected as the entire town is buying up all of the candles. Out of luck the person ahead of us decides to not purchase all of his candles which we buy up right away. (Apparently some customers were getting into fights over candles, but we were able to avoid that thankfully).

    After a long day we head home, eat some food, and rest.

    Cost Breakdown (Approximate):
    Bus tickets from Valladolid to Tulum x 2 people = 220 pesos
    Airbnb for 2 nights = $43 USD
    Groceries = 291 pesos
    Eating out (fancy) x 2 people = 215 pesos
    SIM Card and 3gb data = 230 pesos
    Read more