Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 87

    Calakmul 1

    21. joulukuuta 2020, Meksiko ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    After a long drive we finally reach the ruins!

    Construction of Calakmul started around 550 BC and became a UNESCO world heritage site in 2002. The central area occupies 1-2 square kilometres and has approximately 1000 structure; "Structure 2" being one of the tallest structures in the Mayan world measuring at 45 metres tall. The outlying 20 square kilometres contains over another 5500 structures that were primarily used as residences for the cities estimated 50 000 people. This outer area contains five water reservoirs, some of which are the largest in Mayan history.

    Calakmul had over twelve centuries of some of the most influential Mayan control on regions of up to 150 km away. The Kingdom has a tumultuous history with its neighboring Kingdom of Tikal located 100 km away in what is now known as Guatemala.

    The area is tranquil and lush. There were barely any other tourists there (I think we saw maybe 20 other people). We also got to climb to the top of the ruins where we overlooked the dense jungle and other ancient structures.

    There are a ton of animals too. We saw howler and spider monkeys, birds, coatimundis (Mexican raccoon), lizards, and bats!

    We didn't get to see any jaguars, but we saw plenty of 'jaguar crossing' signs.
    Lue lisää