Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Adventures around Cue

    August 24, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Woke up this morning looking forward to the day we had planned.
    After breakfast we headed off. The first thing we looked at was the Masonic Lodge, this 2 story building is pretty impressive for a corrugated iron shed. The next stop was Big Bell. Coming into 'town' the first thing we noticed was the water tank, then we turned the corner and there was the pub. It is only a shell these days but it is still a sight to behold. It must have been impressive in it's hey-day.; We drove around and looked at where the buildings used to be, not much, just a few concrete slabs. There is still the shell of the Catholic Church left standing and another building with a big double-sided fireplace and a single room on each side. We spent so much time trying to work out what it was used for that we both neglected to take a photo. Looking tonight for a photo, it was "No, I didn't, I thought you did."
    We left there and pulled up a bit down the road for morning tea. We had everything we needed, cups, bickies, milk, hot water, but no tea or coffee. That's what happens when you leave the van behind. I think old age is not just catching up, it's about to overtake us.
    Next stop was Walga Rock. Not only is it Australia's second biggest monolith, the rock art and the colours and shapes of the rock are amazing. All this for free, with no crowds and you can climb it as well for spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. This truly is one special place. I hope it never gets spoiled.
    After lunch we drove right around it, about 5kms ,and it is just as magical on the eastern side.
    We then headed off to another rock, this time on the other side of town. It's called Garden Granite Rock. It's about 20m high and has a circumference of 1km. Garden Granite Rock was once the site of market gardens established in 1894 to supply the gold field population with fruit and vegetables. After another stroll around the top of a rock, we headed back to town and headed up the scenic lookout for a higher view of Cue. Then back to the caravan park just in time for an afternoon drink. Heading off tomorrow for Mt. Magnet and Sandstone.
    Read more