Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 65

    Lucky Bay

    18 settembre 2023, Australia ⋅ 🌬 18 °C

    We left Esperance this morning and headed out to Cape Le Grande National Park. We booked for 2 nights at Lucky Bay campground. This is a great site with individual numbered spaces but it was still, first in, best dressed. Luckily, we found two adjoining spots both with water views overlooking the bay. Lucky Bay was voted, by some poll, as the best beach in the world and with its white sand and beautiful turquoise water I can see why.
    After setting up we headed to the beach to see for ourselves. Although the wind was blowing and a bit cool, the water looked inviting and Kate couldn't resist it. I went for a bit of a paddle and the water wasn't bad. That afternoon we celebrated Nans birthday. We had cake and Kate and Brooke crocheted Nan a bunch of flowers.
    The next morning, we went for a walk to the Southern end of the beach and came across a memorial commemorating a French whaling Captain helping Edward John Eyre during his epic trek from Adelaide to Albany. Russ, Kate and myself took a walk out on the rocks to the end of the point, hoping to see some seals. No seals, but we did have an encounter with a pod of dolphins that came in quite close to the rocks. We then took a drive out to Rosetta Bay. Another spectacular bay in this amazing part of the world. After lunch, 4 of us walked a 2km track to Thistle Bay, Helen and Michelle drove to pick us up. It was supposed to be a flat walk and while not too strenuous, I wouldn't call it flat. Jumping into vehicles we continued our exploration of the bays. Next stop was Hellfire Bay, I thought this was a great beach, almost no sea grass. We continued onto Cape Le Grande. This campground was closed a couple of weeks ago because of the smell of rotting sea grass. It has reopened again but still a lot of it on the beach and a bit of a smell. There is a lot of sea grass on the Western side of Lucky Bay beach as well, but no smell. On the way back we stopped at Frenchmans Peak. This is big granite hill, (mountain) with a natural bridge on the top which looks like a French mans cap. You can climb to the top, but not this little black duck. The next day on the way back to Esperance we called into Esperance Stonehenge. This is a full size replica of the English Stonehenge, but how it would have looked in 1950BC. Back to Esperance for supplies before heading to Norseman and turning right, for the trek across the Nullabor.
    Leggi altro