Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Albany to Esperance

    September 16, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    After leaving King River C.P we headed north to Porongurup National Park. This is home to the Granite Skywalk. Sitting atop of Castle Rock, this man made walk allows you to climb and walk over the rock giving spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. There are two problems, First one is, it is a 2km walk to get there, all uphill and lots of steps. The second one is actually climbing the rock but that didn't matter. After paying our $8 park fee, Nan and I headed off with Russ, Michelle and Kate, Brooke stayed behind doing schoolwork, I won't say full of confidence but with high hopes. After our second rest, we told the others to keep walking and we would just continue at our own pace. This is a 2k walk and after we walked what we thought was about half way we came across a sign that said 1.7ks to go. Talk about a disappointment, we had a quick chat and decided to call it a day. The other side of the sign said 500mtrs to carpark, so off we went back to the van for a cuppa.
    $8 for a 500mtrs walk.
    After the others got back we headed off to Esperance stopping the night at the old school site of Fitzgerald. This is a big free camp on the site of the old school. There are no buildings here, just a picnic area and the old cricket pitch. Next morning we continued on to Esperence where we stayed at the Bushlands Caravan Park. This is quite a 'rustic' place, with lots of permanent residents.
    After setting up we had a look around the area and it is quite a nice place with a rugged coast line and a great town beach swimming area and a busy Port.
    Read more