Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 74

    Port Pirie and visiting friends.

    27 september 2023, Australië ⋅ 🌬 23 °C

    We left our camp about 8.30am for what we thought was just a long but reasonably quick drive into Adelaide. Google said 380kms, about 4hrs. After driving through Port Augusta we continued on to Port Pirie, where we were always going to stop and have a look around. Port Pirie has one of the largest lead smelters in the world and it also has some pretty large sharks, especially one called Shakka. He got tangled up in snapper lines in 1998 in Wallaroo and created quite a stir when brought to the jetty in Port Pirie. We called into the visitor centre to have a look at a replica model of this 5.5mt monster, where the girl at the desk suggested to us that we take the more scenic route to Adelaide via the Clare Valley.
    After morning tea, down on the water front, we decided to take her advice and headed off. It really was a very nice drive through green undulating country with some pretty impressive crops of wheat, barley, lentils, faber beans and grapes. Today was our last day together with Russell and the Family as they were heading to Adelaide and we were visiting friends not far from where we were. After a farewell lunch in Claire we went our separate ways. We arrived in Smithfield about 4.00pm.
    We spent two nights at the Gawler Gateway C.P. which allowed a full day with our friends Ken and Pat. We had a great time catching up over coffee and lunch, more coffee, more reminiscing and after vowing to do it again we went back to the caravan park and left the next morning and headed for home.
    Meer informatie