Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 75

    Crossing the Border

    28 septembre 2023, Australie ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Left Gawler Gateway and headed for home. Hel and I are a bit like horses that you hire for riding. OK while they are leaving the stable but once you turn their heads for home, they just race back.
    Out on the highway driving through the Barossa Valley we drove past one of the well known wineries in Australia, Wolf Blass. Continuing on we pulled up and had morning tea in front of acres of grapes belonging to Banrock Station. Over the years we have enjoyed a few glasses of their whites.
    Next stop was Renmark via Monash where we noticed a sign to Monash Adventure Park. We didn't have a look but wondered what it looked like now. As our kids can testify and maybe the grandkids, it was pretty wild, back in the day.
    Arriving in Renmark, which looks to have grown since we were last here, we did some important shopping and then headed for the border. Over the years we have crossed over the border into Victoria in just about every place possible so we are always looking for something different. Well we found another way and you don't even go into Victoria. So off we went on the Wentworth-Remark Road into Wentworth NSW
    It's a road of about 150ks which goes north of Remark on bitumen to Cooltong and then it's a bit over 110ks of pretty good gravel before about 25ks of bitumen coming into Wentworth.
    There are a couple of Conservation Reserves along the route with a few lakes. Also they are putting a huge electricy line through here, 6 wires on massive towers. It looks like the SA side is done with all the towers and wires up right up to the border but on the NSW side it looks like only about 25% of the towers are up and definitely no wire. The other thing is SA seemed to have all the same towers but on the NSW side they have definitely 2 and maybe 3 different designs.
    After an interesting drive we arrived at the border, no quarantine checks out here. SA had a sign welcoming visitors but not NSW. There is a sign with a welcome to Wentworth Shire. There is also a concrete cairn on the border with some info on it. After some photos we headed off looking for some where to camp. After a few failures we finally found a spot on the river and I mean right on the river. I always say never camp on a river bed but the sky was clear and the black clay was hard so we took the chance.
    En savoir plus