Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    War! Revolution! Liberty! Demonstration!

    September 3, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    As promised, we visited the Plaza de Mayo today, taking in the terracotta Casa Rosada (Evita on the veranda). It was virtually deserted mid-morning, save for a family with mountains of luggage, killing time before their flight home. Even the ramshackle encampment of 'Malvinas' veterans which surrounds an ancient palm tree on the edge of the square showed little signs of life, the newspaper articles from Argentinian and British sources pinned up opposite almost unreadable since the thunderstorm earlier in the morning. The 'exotic dancers' (pictured) practised their routines, with direction, but without music.

    After attending a singing mass in the cathedral, and, following lunch, we went on an expedition. Wandering through the craft stalls, antique emporia and gift shops of San Telmo, we watched street performers and listened to a band singing rock classics in the middle of a barbecue. We're definitely going back for the beef, but would also recommend the delicious Spanish Omelette at the Cafe Poesia, where we had already eaten.

    A return trip on the way home later in the afternoon, and the central square looked somewhat different. The large police presence visible earlier (riot vans included) was explained by the large-scale demonstration now taking place, with banners, placards and petitions to sign. Yes, you've guessed it, it was a Harry Potter Convention. Scary!

    Further info re. Falkland veterans protest:
    http://en.mercopress.com/2016/02/27/malvinas-co…
    Read more