Satellite
  • Day 26

    Lake Ohrid

    April 29, 2017 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    This bed is killing us. We have both been waking up several times during the night. We just don't fit :S
    Woke up and had a shower, well kinda. Jumped in when the water turned luke warm then it turned cold. I waited patiently shivering for 5 mins waiting for it to heat up but it didn't -.- I didn't use soap cause my hands were busy hugging myself but it still counts as a rinse lol.
    Ate cereal in the common room, lots of random new people..
    Said hi to Booba and got dressed for the day. The girls from work facetimed me on my phone and we chatted for a while, a few were drunk as crap but it was sooo good to talk to them!! They were all out drinking for Gabby's farewell.
    We decided to go to Ohrid again because Will wants a kebab.
    Mikhail was going there anyway so he drove us :)
    We went to the old bazaar area which we didn't visit last time but it was nothing special. Too modernized. We had a kebab which I actually really liked. We then needed to get our bus ticket for the first half of our trip to Bulgaria tomorrow. (Ohrid - Skopje) we asked for directions from the information center and then walked for about 15 mins. On the way we definitely walked through a more slummy area. There was a girl that picked up a cat and cat was trying to hard to get away. I don't know if it was her cat or not cause she did enter a nearby house but the cat got away.
    The buildings were falling apart and it was dirty.
    We got the the bus terminal and bought a ticket, it was quite stress free actually.
    We then walked back to town and sat at a resturant near the lake.
    I could watch it for hours.
    We had drinks.
    There is a tree that is upside down looking that is cool.
    Caterpillars love Will and keep crawling on him.

    Because I subscribed to smart traveller on my Facebook, this morning Macedonia got an updated warning for travelers to be careful.
    It's because of the lack of government and not terrorism though so that's something.
    There are marches everyday but Macedonia is known for being peaceful. As we have been told by every Macedonian 109 times, Macedonia is the only country to leave Yugoslavia without a casualty, apparently.
    I am not concern in the slightest. Not a single bone in my body feels threatened or in danger. I felt more wary in Greece and they are a green travel zone so eh.
    I would take the "risk" of coming here again and again.
    We left the resturant which didn't have the friendliest vibe - probably because it was sort of up market and we only ordered drinks haha and walked to the taxi.
    He drove us to Lagadin where we got out, bought some snacks for the trip for tomorrow and walked up the stupid hill back to our hostel.
    I tried to find a worker earlier to ask them if they could order us a taxi for tomorrow morning but I can't find anyone. As much as I love it here, the lack of designated reception area is a pain in the ass.
    We chilled out in our room for a bit. I read another chapter of my book (the last stand) then we started to get hungry and wanted to go get dinner. It took 2 attempts to leave because Booba the dog kept breaking the gate and following people. I had to go get her an extra time with a group leaving before us. The German girls had to go give her to others to distract her. She is a bugger haha.
    We walked down to the road and flagged down a taxi but noticed it was occupied so I lowered my hand. They stopped anyway and we jumped in the back. They were suppose friendly and agreed to drop us 2km down the road. They too said lots of Macedonians live in Australia. He's like the 8th person to say this.
    It was a very tight fit in the back seat. I don't think the lady next to me spoke English. We just spoke to the male passenger who was called Alexander lol. It was very cool and culturally different to home. They were so happy to let us share the taxi.
    We got dropped off at the barbecue place Mikhail recommended to us this morning. We had the Macedonian version of tzatziki- the difference is it's made with sour cream not yogurt, and we both got the pork ribs.
    We were expecting racks but that's not what we got. Still it was delicious and filling and only cost 2.50€ for an entire meal which included chips. Bargain!
    I had a dessert too cause Will promised me this morning I could have one at dinner if I didn't buy a gelato in town :) :) hehe
    It was a banana crepe and it was goooood.
    We made a very very bad decision on how to get home.
    By car it didn't seem that far away but when you are walking, on the side of a road that has no lights or footpaths with lunatic drivers racing around corners - walking is dumb.
    We made it home alive though. We did have to hop over fences, and run to dodge traffic though. We worked up a sweat as we ran around the bends to get out of "danger" as quick as possible. I had only my phone light for a guide but that at least also alerted cars something was there.
    Will got a tad exasperated at me cause I wanted to walk on the left but he wanted to walk on the right.
    I wanted the left because then I could see when a car was coming and move out of the way but he wanted the right because it had slightly more room on the side of the road. I think this would have been a good argument if these people stayed in there lanes.
    Either way we made it :)
    We were going to play cards again but the other worker dude - really should learn his name cause he is super nice - said they some people were going to town and asked if we wanted to come.
    I was gonna go but our bus is at 7:15am and I haven't slept well in days and they could be out til an unknown hour so I'm in bed right now writing this while Will has gone to have fun with the boys :) he knows not to drink though cause he will hate himself tomorrow on our 9 hour bus journey. Lol
    I've packed, he hasn't - bed time :D
    Read more