Satellite
  • Day 40

    Work Away

    May 13, 2017 in Bulgaria ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We slept better last night even though that bird came back -.-
    We got up at 9 and had cereal for breakfast. It was a new type we bought at the grocery store yesterday but it wasn't as good. It was only a small bag so we don't have to eat it again cause it's all gone lol.
    I was more conscious this morning and ready to go.
    It was stinking hot already though so we both opted for shorts.
    But I wore a long sleeve shirt because Johanna (pronounced Yo - Hana. I feel black when I say it)
    said the roses can scratch up your arms pretty bad.
    We drove out to one of the fields, parked then walked about 500 meters over sunflower seedlings before we actually got there.
    We took a pair of big scissors and took on a row each. I find it quite fun. The aim was to get rid of all the dead sticks attached to the bushes.
    It hurt my back after a while but cutting the big stems was really satisfying.
    I made a few boo boos and cut live stems so I hid them at the base 0.O hehehe oops.
    (While reading this back to Will he has admitted to the same crime.)
    I was the slowest but most efficient at first. Once I realized everyone else was not being as precise I caught up.
    The thorns went through my gloves a few times and it really hurt.
    One you cut the stick you had to throw it into the lane way but it was challenging. A few times I went to throw it but the thorns attached to my gloves so I ended up hitting myself In the face.
    It really hurt Wills back so he used the pitch fork to collect the sticks.
    I really did find it fun only it was so hot and I was dripping. Sweat was going everywhere and my eyes were stinging.
    I don't know when i last sweated that much.
    I think the sunscreen I put on was why it was so much. My pores were in protest.
    Johanna and I worked on row 4 together. She is much quicker than me but I'd be worried if she wasn't - it's her job.
    I had a try with the pitch fork and got cranky.
    It's so much easier using your hands to pick up the sticks - they just fall straight through the fork.
    There was one open rose and it smelt incredible, like the soap.
    We got some photos of us being farmers then headed home.
    We sat around the table for a while just relaxing.
    Danny then turned up. I like him. He is easy going and has made a few jokes too.
    He showed us underneath there unusable house. They have a boat and bikes which we hope to use.
    It's really cold under the house and is where previous owners would have stored food.
    There were some awesome big barrels there too.
    It was like a pickers dream. So much junk.
    We had lunch - Shopska salad, sandwiches and potato salad type thing except they called it a Russian salad?
    I then had a beautiful shower and cleaned the layers of crap out of my hair.
    The pair have now gone off to do something so I'm laying on the mat with intentions of reading while Will does his first load of washing. So proud.
    Will can't find the 2nd packet of Oreos we bought and is a little bummed.
    There are so many bees buzzing around my face but strangely it doesn't faze me. I don't normally feel overly comfortable around them.

    I had a splinter before and it really really hurt! I thought I had been bitten/stung by something at first.
    I had to almost cut a chunk out of my skin to get it out. Little bugger.

    No sign of Pedro today :(

    My book is so stressful I need to take regular breaks.

    Regarding the rose oil business -
    They stay in business because the biggest Rose companies can't harvest all their roses - Only a very small portion, because it's a job a machine can't do.
    No machine yet exists that can tell which roses should be picked and which should not. All must be hand picked.
    The little fields sell to the bigger companies and also have their own smaller businesses, like on Etsy.
    We are working on an organic farm.
    There are 2 distilleries in town.

    I want dinner. The sunset is so late here which is good and bad.
    2 more volunteers arrive tomorrow. The yard is going to be cramped with everyone's tents!

    When it's cold and you pee in the hole ... because your wee is hot and the stone is cold it makes steam :)
    Science is cool. Lol

    I finished reading a few chapters of my book and went to sit over with Will who was just about finished watch Logan - he said it's good.
    Danny asked us if we were bored and wanted to see a bit of the village. We said yes :)
    He drove us through a lot of fields. Grapes, sunflowers, lavender and roses. The grapes are the prettiest.
    We got out of the car to look at lavender. It hasn't started yet but if you rub the leaves you can smell it.
    We saw some wild rabbits - apparently jackals eat them.
    I didn't realise they had Jackals in Europe.
    The views were beautiful.
    We drove around for about 30 mins.
    When we got back in was dinner time.
    It was sausage and lentils - :S but I ate it like a polite guest.
    Danny is a tour guide in Sofia so he has a lot of random knowledge and he gave us a big history of yogurt because Bulgarians are upset.
    He put yogurt on his sausage. Who does that?

    I tried it with lentils and it wasn't half bad. There yogurt is better than ours. It has a different texture. It's more watery.
    We then played big 2 all together. Danny is very funny.

    This whole time I thought the wood shavings were scented when it's actually the toilet paper. Fancy.

    It's about to storm we think. There is lots of lightening so far but no rain.
    I would love to fall asleep to the sound of rain than that damn bird.

    Storm has started :D

    Never mind it didn't last long :(
    I kept on needing to wee and Will was getting fed up with me climbing over him to the door so tried to go out the back way. As I pulled the zipper down my hand was in immediate pain. So many nettle stings. My hand developed some small hives pretty quickly :( it was itchy :(
    It was fine by morning though.
    Read more