Satellite
  • Day 219

    Sarajevo

    November 8, 2017 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We left at around 11 this morning - first grabbed breakfast in old town at the place we ate at yesterday.

    I made a point of having a look at the main green topped fountain today as we passed as it's on like every magnet and obviously the symbol of the city.

    Today's walk nearly killed us.

    It was 5km to get there but it was vertical the whole way. We literally climbed a mountain.
    We were dying and had a break every street.
    I genuinely can't believe how steep it was.
    I tried to capture it with my phone but it didn't work.
    It was as steep or steeper than the street I drove down on the way to Wills - just past the hospital.
    But 5 KILOMETERS LONG 😭😭😭 the views were lovely though ( I noticed this on the way back down - on the way up we were busy hyperventilating 😂)
    We started walking through farms and ended on mud tracks due to the rain last night.

    We spotted a few of the old ski lifts on the way.

    Skipping the constant complains and woeful cries from both of us... we found the start 😭😭😭😭🎉🎉🎉🎉

    We had a celebratory 10 minute break haha

    Will ran up to the luge start - it was too high for me - I didnt risk trying in case I fell back down onto the piles of glass so I just watched him. He made it first try. 👏🏼👏🏼 only just.. 😝

    He walked down that and I walked down the bobsled track until our tracks met up.

    The track was so so so so cool. Completely covered in graffiti which made it look awesome. We walked down the entire track and took heaps of photos. Some of the trek had bullet holes in it. The walls on the straights weren't as high as I thought they would be.
    It was so cool to imagine the Olympics here and how different it would have been (1984 Winter Olympics)
    It was fun imagining everything from how the competitors felt to the spectators watching from the Sides.

    We saw a few others people exploring too but everyone always stayed on set paths because there could be unexplored Land mines in the forrests.

    There were destroyed buildings at the finish line which we had a look around and I popped a squat in because I was busting!!! Hahah leaving my mark in history 😬

    Walking back down the hill Will kept slipping in the mud.

    We came across 2 more bullet hole covered buildings we had agreed to explore on the way back down.

    They had graffiti too.
    Will checked all the holes for old shell casings. The second building was a mess. A bomb must have hit. We went in and explored. Everything was shattered.

    Back down the hill. So steep it hurt our knees stopping ourselves from falling. I did land on my ass once though lol

    There was a massive old landslide in the distance.
    Because we were above the city, looking down was so cool! All the houses are slightly different colours. It's wonderful
    Walk walk walk. We were much quicker in this direction hahah

    MADE IT THANK HEAVENS.

    We walked though many cemeteries - not sure if they are from the war cause literally everyone died 1996/97

    Home woohoo we both showed because we were saturated.

    We went out for burgers for dinner.

    It was happy hour so we got double drinks. My pina coladas were amaxinggggghh

    So tired! Lol

    The music from the bar is so bloody annoying! Trying to read again and I can't concentrate.

    The girl in our room left so we are by ourselves now. The worker hadn't been here today so I think, unless someone is in the other dorm and very quite. The entire building is ours.
    I'll still be locking the toilet door.

    I really like Bosnia. It rates very high on my list.
    Read more