Satellite
  • Day 306

    Porto

    February 3, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    So the walking tour I booked didn't happen but we did go explore.
    It was a 3km walk to the centre. I am genuinely surprised by how much I like this city. It's run down but beautiful. All the buildings are covered in tiles. It's wonderful.
    It was all downhill which was great - it's the walk back that will be the bummer.

    Seriously though, the tiles. 😍😍😍

    The main square had beautiful buildings too but that wasn't where the main attractions were so we kept walking.

    Made it to the Ribeira square next to the Duomo river.
    There were so many HUGE fish in the water. It was bizarre! They were all so big and yet no one was fishing them. You could eat for a year.
    We walked across their famous Luis 1 bridge (similar looking to the harbour bridge) to get to the other side of the river to get a better view of the unesco port.
    Prettttty.

    I bought a magnet that had tile patterns on it because it will definitely remind me of the city.

    Along this side was a bunch of old boats with port barrels on them.

    We found a resturant that sold a sort of sandwich thing we were told to try. It's called Francesinha. It's ridiculous. It's meat cheese more meat more cheese and I think some bread somewhere in there. It was sooo goood.
    It was sitting in some sort of sauce. Either beer or port. It's traditionally beer but this tastes like port so 🤷🏼‍♀️
    We loved the place EXCEPT they put bread and olives on our table.
    They then tried to charge us for them. We were like uhm, no. We didn't eat them.
    Or at least not the olives. Will had some bread because at he assumed the table bread would be free like it normally is.
    I thought it was really dishonest especially after I told a waiter to take it away because we don't like them.
    I don't think she understood but still. Not paying lol.
    They took it off the bill.
    Shouldn't have been there in the first place lol.

    We walked back - on the way we found the most unexciting head hole picture thing (see photo - terrible description hahah) I had to get a photo. You normally replace a beloved character head.... this was not... why anyone would NEED to get a photo with this is a mystery.

    Walked back home. Long walk 😅

    Had a quick snooze infront of the mini heater. Saaaa goood.

    We watched the illusionist - good film.

    I had strawberries for dinner because our late lunch completely stuffed us both.

    Uploaded today's photos to past 2 days too.

    Also, we came across a random chicken on our travels.
    Read more