Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Shimo-Kitazawa

    September 30, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    I let the kids sleep in today. No rush. Only plans were to visit Shimo-Kitazawa - a district known for its older-style shops selling vintage clothes and great cafes... and of course to collect Mitch’s guitar.

    The later start meant more places were open along the way and we couldn’t resist a pancake breakfast with the iced cocoa we’ve all become addicted to.

    Mitch was beside himself all day and even the very strong rain and leaden skies could t dampen his mood... which is just as well because Shimokita didn’t have much to appeal to a teenage boy. He was tolerant and patient thinking about the guitar we were planning to collect at the end of the day- before the store closed at 8pm.

    The girls bought very little, and running in and out of shops with a wet umbrella was challenging. The best purchase of the day was a bag made from old jeans I bought Charley for her birthday. She’s been wanting one for months and was planning to make it herself, but then in Tokyo we stumble across a whole store filled with repurposed denim pieces.

    We found an udon place for lunch - very authentic but not as good as the ramen the other night. Next door was a masseuse and we all trooped upstairs for a soothing foot massage (for the kids) and shoulder for me.

    Next stop - creperie and then onwards back to Ochanomizu to collect Mitch’s guitar. By the time we arrived - around 6.30- it was just sitting but quite dark and we found the whole precinct deserted - including the shop with Mitch’s guitar! His disappointment was all consuming and only just exceeded mine when I realised I would have to redo the next 2 days’ plans to make it back here - really not near anything else and requiring an immediate trip back to the hotel directly after purchase.

    We headed back to Asakusa whilst considering the options. On the way we visited a fun parlour and played a few Japanese arcade games and took a turn in the big-eyed photo booth. When in Japan...

    Dinner was back at the same place Mitch and i ate on the first night - around the corner corner from the hotel. It was just as delicious but we were all upset by the smokers thy fulled the place while people ate! The staff provided up a table in the corner alcove which was some protection.

    Bed at a late but more reasonable midnight in preparation for a very full day tomorrow.
    Read more