Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    The Lights of Mexico City

    December 22, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    The advantage of an early start in LA is the beautiful sunrise - and we weren’t disappointed. But not too long to linger before heading to LAX and onward to Mexico City.

    The flying time and time change meant we arrived late afternoon and didn’t get to the hotel until late afternoon, only to find there was a problem with our booking. It took the best part of an hour to resolve things - by which time we were all wanting to sleep, but also very hungry- no one has eaten a proper meal so far today.

    The hotel is gorgeous- a beautifully restored building right in the centre of the old city. We were supposed to have shared one room but the mix up meant we now have next door rooms side by side - Mitch and I together and the twins together.

    Alex wasn’t feeling well and decided to stay at the hotel and rest whilst Mitch, Charley and I headed to a local taqueria highly recommended by the hotel. It was so authentic and really atmospheric. Filled with locals, we had to push our way upstairs into the low roofed eating space and work out what to order from the Spanish speaking staff.

    Mitch and Charley shared chicken tacos whilst I chose a vegetarian version and smothered it in the large selection of chilli salsas.

    After dinner we went for a walk around the very close y Plaza de la Consituzion - all lit up with Christmas lights. On the way back we stopped at a sweets store and bought a small
    bag of chocolates. A truly great introduction to Mexico.
    Read more