Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Taxco

    December 24, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    I’ve always wanted to visit Taxco. I love Spanish colonial towns and I’d heard this one is particularly charming. It’s a silver mining town built across 7 mountains. All the houses are white and from a distance look reminiscent of Santorini. But what I love most is all the wrought iron that decorated all the balconies and doorways and street lights.

    Our shout-y guide began marching us about the the cobblestone streets before handing us over to a local to explain some of the features. It was all so interesting.

    He told us about the annual procession each March during which time women with bare feet and chained ankles parade the streets alternating with men carrying a heavy cross and self flagelating until they bleed.

    We also heard the town was previously called Glashco after a ball game which sees the winner ‘sacrificiated’...

    And we visited the most incredibly ornately decorated cathedral (San Sebastian) featuring an alter carved out of wood and covered in gold leaf. It took 7 years to build with the help of 20-thousand Indians!

    After the tour, we had a little free time but it’s Charley’s turn to be unwell today and so we spent most of that time in a cafe looking after her. Alex and Mitch took advantage of that opportunity to order Nutella crepes - probably just as well because we didn’t leave Taxco for the 3 hour drive back to Mexico City until 6.30!
    Read more