Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Shopping, sweating and salsa

    December 29, 2018 in Cuba ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    There were no planned activities this morning so we slept in and started slowly. It was incredibly hot and humid today - almost unpleasant.

    After breakfast, the girls and I left Mitch relaxing in the room while we went shopping for trinkets and souvenirs.

    We walked the length of Obispo - the long narrow street that runs the length of the old city. It’s the main shopping street for tourists and is always crammed with pedestrians and music.

    In truth, there is not much to buy in Havana -
    and each shop carried the same range of handicrafts, cigars and rum. We bought presents for family and a few small pieces of jewellery and t-shirts for the kids and then walked back to Mitch.

    Despite the heat the atmosphere is exciting, and we enjoyed being out amongst the people.

    We then walked across town in search of a creperie that had been recommended by the Swedes we met on our bike tour. Charley has been craving crepes after feeling too poorly in Mexico to indulge, and this was her moment. The place was tricky to find, but in getting lost we stumbled on charming plazas we hadn’t seen previously.

    After 2 crepes each for lunch, we headed to Vedado for our salsa lesson. It was such a fun couple of hours! Each of us was allocated a teacher who showed us the steps and slowly built on a routine we all managed to execute by the end. There was lots of laughter - and lots of sweating!

    Back to the hotel for a rest and a shower before dinner at the very upscale Kempinski Hotel across the square. We got there early to enjoy the view over a (virgin) mojito by the rooftop pool before going inside for dinner.

    Mitch was in heaven- steak!! He’s been craving one for days and this was fabulous. I forgot to ask where it had been imported from, but it was definitely not local.

    We all ate well and it felt like a special last night in this fabulous city.
    Read more