Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Guatemala City

    January 9, 2019 in Guatemala ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Really not much to say about this dirty big charmless city.

    We arrived at night - the hotel
    Is in a clean and reputedly fashionable
    part of town - perfectly fine I’d say. We slept well, woke to a nice breakfast and headed to the artisanal market half an hour’s drive away.

    There was nothing remotely interesting to see en route and we arrived to a soulless, suburban ‘market’ selling very uninteresting handicrafts. It was slightly depressing and we left as soon as we could, heading across other freeways to the centre of town and the market there.

    It really did feel like we were going through the motions, and after looking around for about an hour we headed back to the bright, modern and cheerful plaza with a plethora of food options. Last night we had a reasonably good Italian, and today we chose Japanese teppanyaki which we all greatly enjoyed.

    And then it was onto the airport for our flight to LA. The kids were thrilled with an upgrade to business class. And the flight went fast.

    Back in LA it was déjà vu - staying back at The Jeremy (another upgrade) - this time to a one-bedroom suite. Heaven!
    Read more