Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Boat from Oludeniz to Butterfly Valley

    March 29 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We waited in Oludeniz for our boat ride to Butterfly Valley, which was very delayed, only leaving after 1pm. We chilled on the beach, collected beautiful stones and watched the paragliders. Our boat eventually departed and we enjoyed the slow ride to the secluded Butterfly Valley, (which is only accessible by boat).
    The valley sits at the base of the foothills of Mount Babadağ and is formed by a deep canyon that opens up to a beach with fresh spring water running into the Mediterranean sea.
    The valley became popular when hippies discovered the valley in the 1990’s. Back then there was an abundance of butterflies (apparently 150 species). I only spotted approx. a dozen butterflies. Due to it being just before high season, there were literally only 4 guests in the valley (Noah, myself and another Turkish/British couple) and the rest were staff/workers/boat owners. Pure bliss, as we had the majority of the valley to ourselves!
    No permanent buildings are allowed, which has resulted in a ramshackle of temporary buildings and tents, with discarded building material scattered in various places. The food and drink prices are exorbitant, however we were prepared (thanks to trip advisor), so we took our own. The untidyiness and lack of basic bathroom cleanliness were our only dissappointments. Other than that, I absolutely loved our bedouin/turkish type tent on the beach, which had an uninterupted view with the valley mountains on either side, framing the azure blue, warm Mediterranean sea, with red poppies growing in the sand! Just stunning! Pure Bliss!
    Read more