Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    York to Edinburgh

    May 23, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    Today’s first leg was 211 km further north from beautiful York to Hadrians Wall. Hadrians Wall once spanned 80 miles from coast to coast, marking the northern frontier to the mighty Roman Empire. Our guide or tour director as he describes himself is named Keith. Keith continued to provide us with dates, figures, names of kings and queens, poetry, poets, conquerors, stories about anything and everything English, Scottish or otherwise... the sad thing is.....it’s all too much to remember ❤️ Shortly after leaving the Wall we stopped to be fed and watered at a quaint English pub titled The Robin Hood. We were indulged with fresh vegetable soup and sandwich’s.. followed by scones and cream.
    From Hadrian’s Wall we travelled a further 102 km to Jedburgh Abbey which is perched high on a hill and absolutely stunning. The Abbey, is a ruined Augustinian abbey which was founded in the 12th century, and is situated in the town of Jedburgh, in the Scottish Borders. At the Scottish Boarder where we were greeted by a Scottish bagpiper........what a beautiful sound. A further 72 km north brought us to the beautiful Scottish capital, Edinburgh where we will spend the next two nights. Our hotel Macdonald Holyrood is centrally located to the Royal Mile a beautiful strip of ancient historic buildings.
    Read more