Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Edinburgh

    May 24, 2019 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Edinburgh
    From organic medieval and planned Georgian, to neo-classical masterpieces and the über-modern, Edinburgh’s varied architecture creates a ginormous juxtaposing palette of styles.

    In the 12th century (c.1130), King David I, established the town of Edinburgh as one of Scotland's earliest royal burghs, protected by his royal fortress, on the slope below the castle rock.

    And there the day begins!
    We viewed the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the official Scottish residence of Her Majesty, the Queen at the end of the Royal Mile. We were then joined by Alan our Scottish guide for the morning who guided us to and through Edinburgh Castle. We were very appreciative to have seen the inspection and changing of the guards on the forecourt of the castle.
    From the castle esplanade you could see a school that was said to inspire J.K Rowling’s.....The Hogwarts.
    After a leisurely lunch with my new found friends we headed for a tour of the Royal Britannia. The ship is berthed in Leith a buzzing port district in Edinburgh. The interior of the vessel was very modest and filled gorgeous photographs of the Royal family, it gave the impression of years of happy memories.
    Read more