Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Mt. Washington, New Hampshire

    July 28, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Shoutout to Mr. and Mrs. Carlson for posting about their trip to Mt. Washington, because that's what put the place on our radar. It's a privately owned road that to goes to the top, so it cost us $38. We originally thought that was kind of a racket, but man, it was actually really worth it. It's a narrow, only partly paved road that winds a 4725 foot ascent to get to the top of a 6288 foot mountain. They claim that this road accommodates two cars at all places, and I think I believe them... but passing a car while driving a foot away from a two thousand foot cliff makes one question some things!

    The top of Mt. Washington started completely foggy, but cleared up a bit as we were there, probably due to the insane amount of wind. There was an outpost at the top that scientists live in to monitor the weather at the summit, which incidentally is notoriously insane. There are signs with giant letters that say things like "at any sign of bad weather, TURN BACK IMMEDIATELY!" So that was pretty fun. All in all, the views from the top were stunning, and it was such a cool experience!
    Read more