Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    Glacier National Park, Montana

    August 26, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Say hello to Glacier National Park, our favorite park of the trip so far! Words and pictures will both come far short of describing this park, but I'll give it a go. Everything in Glacier is huge. The mountains are simply enormous. The glaciers have slowly carved the mountain peaks into horns and spikes, and flattened some into buttes, and the sides of the mountains are so steep in some places that they are nearly vertical. The valleys between the mountains are filled with icy blue lakes made of glacier water.

    Glacier has the highest population of grizzly bears in the continental US, and is also home to black bears, coyotes, wolves, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and many, many other creatures. We were lucky enough to see most of the list above. Each hike in the park leads to some of the most breathtaking views you could imagine. When we arrived in August, nearly all of the 20+ types of wildflowers were in bloom, and the 7+ types of berries were ripe. This is something that only happens for a couple of weeks during the entire year, so we were very lucky.

    We were only able to stay in the park for a few days, but we both absolutely loved it. Glacier, we'll be seeing you again!
    Read more