Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Estella to Los Arcos

    September 20, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    This may be a short blog as the internet here is very dodgy and I am feeling very tired. Another blue bird day which is another way of saying a very hot day!
    Our first stop along the way was a fountain that provides free red wine for all the pilgrims. Although it was 8 am we had to try it out. Maybe not what you would order for the table but ok and of course free!
    Then we had a great walk through Holly oak tree forests, almond trees and wineries. Along the way we were eating almonds, beautiful sweet grapes and blackberries which were not quite up to the standard of Hatepe but pretty good.
    We stopped in yet another pretty village for cafe con leche and then onwards we trekked! It was a long last 8km with no shade from the relentless Spanish sun and no cafes to stop at.
    Eventually after long and winding roads we reached Los Arcos which is very small with a beautiful Church ( of course) . We staying in a plain hotel with dodgy wifi and a bossy receptionist but that is the Spanish way.
    We met up again with our gorgeous piligrinnos from Wexford. 2 friends who are dairy farmers from Wexford farming 80 cows. One of them David and his wife caught the bus today instead of walking and Lee quipped back to them"that is why the Irish won't win the World cup." But they are good craic.
    We are now back from dinner with again a very bossy waitress but at least she could have a laugh. Tomorrow is a 28 km walk..hope it's not as hot!
    Read more