Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Burgos to Hornillos de Camino

    September 28, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today we were up early and left Burgos in the dark at 7 am. I had a terrible night's sleep so it all seemed a bit of an effort and my legs and feet seem to take on a life of their own! It didn't take long though for the cool morning air to wake me up and it was a much prettier exit from Burgos then the entrance. We passed the beautiful Cathedral and then on past the University and leafy suburbs
    Unfortunately we had thought we would find a cafe in the outer suburbs of Burgos for breakfast but that was not meant to be. Finally after 11km of walking we came to Tardajos where the coffee was good and the croissants were even better. All was well with the world!
    We carried on and met a young english chap carrying a gnome on the walk. We wished him luck. It's tough enough with a pack on your back. We think we have seen the last of Barrett who biked gaily past us in his kilt so we were slightly sad to wave farewell.
    After passing through another village we came across a dear wee church where we popped out heads into. Inside were 2 nuns who were blessing everyone and gave us tiny St Christopher pendants. It was all quite a surprise.
    On we walked with blue blue skies and freshly harvested cereal crops with windmills topping the hills and then a gradual long climb to the official beginning of the Meseta. The Meseta is the high central plateau in Spain and the soil is poor and the landscape is barren but there is something quite grand about the expansive views you get and the big sky. There is not much shade but luckily there was a breeze.
    At about 1.30pm we walked into the one street town and all we can hear is the odd chime of the church bells and the usual rooster crowing.
    Our room is old fashioned but spacious which is a luxury. There are quite a few pilgrims staying here with a very homely bar and restaurant. Enclosed is a photo of the swimming pool which is looking a tad green.
    We have had a wonderful siesta and now soon it will be time for a quiet drink and a pilgrims dinner.
    I must say it's nice to be back in a quiet villages and enjoy the peace of a little place. Buen camino
    Read more