Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Fromista to Carrion de Los Condes

    October 1, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Today we decided to have breakfast at our hotel at 730 am as we were only walking 19 km but knew it was going to be another very hot day. After a delicious breakfast and the first time I could have cereal ( cornflakes!) we set off again but this time in daylight. The moon was still out and once again a chilly start to the day. The feet were all good and there was much chat as we walked the first 11km but much of it was a tree lined path alongside a river( not like the rivers we know, more a sludgy canal) We did stop in at one beautiful church along the way and even if not religious they are a haven to sit in and get out of the sun.
    Finally we came to a cute little village which is home to the magnificent Templar church of Santa Maria built in the 13 th C. Again a cool haven to sit in with beautiful music playing!
    Over the road at the cafe we enjoyed pizzas and coffee. Interestingly enough our American friend and another pilgrim were complaining about the bees hovering over their food but they were actually wasps. Do they not have wasps in Nth Carolina?
    By now the day was getting hot and we still had 5 km to go with no shade so it was basically, just get on with it. Ear plugs in, audio music and books on we kept walking along side a road but expansive views and big blue skies with the sun beating down.
    I have taken a video a km out . Luckily there was a bit of a breeze so finally about 1 pm we entered Carrion de Los Condes which is a really pretty town and even had a great sports shop. Carrion has quite a mediaeval feel and was the home of 14 pilgrim hospitals. At its height it had a population of 10 thousand but now is only 2000 and declining. It seems most of these towns have declining populations!
    A few items were purchased and we banged into a few of our pilgrim family two being the Australian father and son who are staying in a monastery. The father last time we saw him had terrible blisters and was searching for hikers wool. We did give him some but then he found a paddock of sheep so went in and plucked wool off the fence for his blisters! We couldn't help but mention the rugby but he is only interested in AFL . Jane and I then met up again with a lovely young Mexican who carries an umbrella and a shopping bag as he hikes ( photo enclosed) .
    Finally we arrived at our hotel which is 1 star but very comfortable. Before we do anything we have a cold beer so cold beers it was and even better was a plate of delicious black pudding. There we met up again with a Virginian named Bill who had a lot to chat about having lived in Botswana and Nigeria many years working for the Peace Corps and was married in Botswana ( like the Cockrells)
    Anyway the beer was cold and we enjoyed listening and when Bill told us about meeting his wife across a crowded room, Lee and Brian proceeded to sing him Some enchanted evening from Sth Pacific. Ok boys time for a siesta!
    Tomorrow is going to be a 27 km walk with little or no shade so we will set off early as it's going to be another hot hot day.
    Read more