Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Villafranca to O'Cebreiro

    October 12, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    So today we had a slightly different day and passed into Galicea which is an area in Spain that has quite a celtic history.
    We once again set off early in the dark with our headlights on. The walk was to be 29 km with a 9 km steep climb at the end but Jane had other ideas.
    So on we walked through pretty countryside with huge chestnut trees and quince trees , poplars all starting to drop their leaves plus all the chestnuts on the ground.
    Today we did a bit of road side walking which you have to be pretty careful navigating as the Spanish drivers drive fast,even through the little villages.
    Lots of cute villages today,some more prosperous then others and a bit of chat with fellow pilgrims including the English guy with the gnome! It turns out he is a rugby player who is a hooker. The gnomes name is Gnome Gallagher ( after the Oasis lead singer Liam) Anyway a few laughs and on we walked.
    After 21 km we stopped at a quaint village and met Victor who had 4 horses waiting for us. As I haven't been on a horse since the age of 14 I had a few reservations about this new experience but it was high ho silver an off we set! Jane the most experienced rider led the charge and the rest of us followed the leader! My horse Luna prooved to be a bit naughty. I think she was jut tired and it was her second climb up the track that day.
    We all clopped on in a very slow fashion and almost felt guilty as we passed fellow pilgrims slogging it up the quite steep hillside. Were we really worried, not a bit
    The ride went on for 2 1/2 hours and I must say was well ready to get off naughty Luna by the end but what an experience! Victor was quite a character and bought us drinks when we got to the top of redwine mixed with lemon fizz. It was surprisingly refreshing.
    As OCobreiro is totally booked out due to today being a Spanish holiday we are in a nearby very plain little town. Spain has continual holidays!
    In our quest to find a bar or restaurant open at 6 pm.we had to walk all around the town. Brian and Lee actually woke one bar owner up who staggered out with a barking dog and wearing a stained white singlet. He was not impressed.
    Finally we found a restaurant and have had a nice meal and now nack at hotel well ready for bed. 7 more days!
    Read more