Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Whitsunday Islands AUS Feb 22nd

    February 22 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Stopped at Whitsunday Islands Australia this morning early and had a 8 am excursion to Whitehaven Beach and a ride on a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat).
    We wore our swim suits, water shoes and LOTS of sunscreen. It was a great day out on the water for about an hour in the RIB seeing the sights of all the islands that make up Whitsunday.
    Then we stopped at a small beach for a hike up quite a few stairs to 3 lookout points overlooking the ocean / sea. Then a walk back down where we saw another lizard along the way.
    Another short ride to Whitehaven beach where we stopped to have a quick lunch and walk around the beach, put our feet in the sand and water. We did not put on the wet suits and get into the water. You had to put on the suit to protect yourself from the small jellyfish. They are very dangerous and if they sting you close to the heart, you have about 2 hours to get to a hospital. The boats have a kit similar to an epi pen to take care of the venom. Luckily no one got stung. The beach is about 98% silica and does not get hot in the sun. When you walk on it, it makes a 'squeeeeak' sound under your feet.
    Then back to the ship to leave for Cairns tomorrow. We are just going up the western coast of Australia for our next stop.
    Read more