Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 85

    Port Louis, Mauritius Apr 2nd

    April 2 in Mauritius ⋅ 🌬 26 °C

    Today we landed in Mauritius, an island nation off the coast of Africa.
    Our excursion was along the Tea Route. This is the colonial historical mansions and tea plantations from centuries ago. There are many colonial mansions still standing that have their unique open architecture plan to allow for the air to flow through the house that has large floor to ceiling windows and doors. There are very few hallways since the idea is to allow the air to flow through the house.
    Our first stop was the Domaine des Aubineaux which is a 19th century colonial mansion. It was full of vintage furniture and photos.
    We then visited the tea factory at Bois Chari. It was the first and largest tea producer in Mauritius. We saw how the tea leaves are harvested, dried, the fibers removed and cut. There is loose leaf tea which is the best and preferred way to have tea, and the rest of the 'powder' that is left over goes into the tea bags that we are used to. So our tea bags are not the best grade of teas...
    We stopped for lunch at St. Aubin, another colonial mansion for an excellent lunch of vanilla chicken. This is also a vanilla plantation, so they use the vanilla in preparing the chicken. We then had a rum tasting where the rum is made from the sugar cane that they also grow in the plantation.
    Then back to the ship for our multiple sea days to South Africa...
    Read more