Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 114

    Lisbon (Obidos), Portugal May 1st

    1 maj, Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    Our second day in Lisbon, Portugal.
    Our excursion was to Medieval Obidos. The city of Obidos is about an hour drive away from Lisbon and is a hiltop walled city from medieval times. The wall that we walked around is the perimeter of the old town and made entirely by hand of native stones. As you can see from the pics, the wall is just rock and a path around it. There is no guide rail, just the wall and the path that we walked around the city. Well, we walked around half the wall. Scott got up the first time and then chickened out because of the height and we had to go back down. But he did get some courage and further down we got back up on the wall we walked half of the wall. The views were just hard to believe how far you could see in the country side.
    The history of the city is that King Dinis married Isabel of Aragon in 1282 and gave her the city as a wedding gift. The walls were constructed in the 14th century. We walked through the winding cobblestone streets lined with shops and houses. People still have houses inside the old city walls and there were even a few small (very small) cars driving on the streets to their houses. There were many whitewashed houses, staircases, balconies and tile roofs. In the center is the Church of Santa Maria filled with hand painted tiles and painted ceilings.
    We managed to sample the Portuguese pastries and the local liquor Ginja. Its a sour cherry liquor like brandy that they serve in dark chocolate shot glass. It was a great time walking the wall, winding streets, looking into the shops and sampling pastries and Ginja.
    Then back to the ship to head to Porto tomorrow...
    Läs mer