Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Outer Banks to Wilmington

    May 29, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    Monday 29th May
    As planned we were up and away by 06.40am. I did the first couple of hours driving to give Peter a break as we had a long drive ahead. Leaving early was a good plan as the roads were empty and we got a good few miles under our belt before we picked up any traffic. We stopped for breakfast in a town called Plymouth at Sheila’s café. Sheila was an elderly lady who cooked the most delicious food – her toast was served with homemade jam! When we arrived there were 3 local sheriffs there also having breakfast, she was clearly very popular.

    It was very very hot when we arrived in Wilmington at around14:00. Parking in the shade of a tree we went to a local café to look on the internet for someplace to stay. We decided to go for the Holiday Inn because with the points he has amassed a room would only cost $30 – bargain. We strolled around Wilmington, but as it was still Memorial weekend – Bank Holiday Monday, most shops were shut so we couldn’t really browse properly. We wanted to ride the trolleybus, but, yes you’ve guessed, it wasn’t running due to the Bank Holiday. Tired and very hot we decided to check into our hotel, do some washing and relax, maybe researching somewhere to stay tomorrow. Tomorrow everything should be open and we can explore a bit before travelling onto Charleston.
    Read more