Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Savannah

    June 3, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Saturday 3rd June
    The laundry facilities at the Best Western are situated right outside our room under a sort of car port affair. Strangely two guys did a big load of washing and tumble drying at 03:00 I sneakily peeped out and they seemed very agitated but were not making any noise so I went back to bed.

    This morning we met Savannah Dan for a walking tour of Savannah. He was recommended to us by a lady staying at the Princess Anne hotel with us in Asheville. Savannah Dan is ex army and ex police deputy sherrif, he is around 6’6” and big build, a man mountain. His tag is wearing a straw panama, a blue striped seersucker 2 piece suit and a colourful bow tie. He took us through the history of Savannah in a light-hearted and entertaining way, making it interesting and funny. Another one to highly recommend if you find yourself in Savannah.

    Our car has had a slow puncture since we got it, the nearside rear wheel slowly went down over 2 days to 14lbs, when this happens we go and pump it up and carry on. Now however it is going down a lot quicker and we got worried we might go to it and find we have a flat tyre and not be able to drive it to a garage to pump it up. So we took it to Avis at Savannah Airport and they swapped it for a black Mustang convertible. It is an older car, lower spec, with no sat nav, but the engine sounds much meatier so we think it is much more powerful – it does 15mpg! Glad we only have it for 2 days, it would be far too expensive to keep it longer. Peter is longing to open it up on a clear stretch of road, probably the interstate.

    We went to the Tangier Outlet Mall on the outskirts of Savannah and found some good bargains in clothing, footwear and Vera Bradley bags. Now we just have to fit it all in our cases!!
    Read more