Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Macon to Atlanta

    June 5, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Monday 5th June
    After last night’s rain storms it was still overcast this morning. We finished packing, breakfasted and hit the road, giving ourselves plenty of time in case of any problems. We also planned to do a final bit of shopping. At one Mall, we found an amazing outdoor shop that had displays of stuffed animals – not sure if they were real or not, but they were in realistic woodland settings, they even had mock mountains for goats and aquariums for bears to fish. It really was a one of a kind, I have never seen a shop like this with such an elaborate display.

    The drive onwards to the airport was rather scary as the rain lashed down again, seriously reducing visibility and we had to travel on an 8-lane interstate. Peter slowed right down, but other cars and huge Big Mac arctics were roaring past, switching lanes and dodging about. We were very relieved when we finally reached Atlanta airport to return the car.

    So now we finally have settled into the lounge at Atlanta to relax before our flight home. Its been a great holiday, here are our votes for the highs and lows:-

    Favourite town – Asheville
    Favourite part of trip – Blue Ridge Parkway
    Best value motel – Comfort Inn
    Favourite hotel – tied between Princess Anne in Ashville and The Inn at Middleton Place
    Best buy – two plastic insulated mugs from Walmark reduced to $1 each – better than paper cups in hotels – if they were provided.
    Best thing we took with us – our kettle – US rooms only have coffee machines, and we DO like our tea.

    Mileage 2,032.6
    Read more