Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    York - England (1)

    July 9, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    York Castle is a fortified complex in the city of York, England. It consists of a sequence of castles, prisons, law courts and other buildings, which were built over the last nine centuries on the south side of the River Foss. The now ruined keep of the medieval Norman castle is commonly referred to as Clifford's Tower. Built originally on the orders of William I to dominate the former Viking city of Jórvík, the castle suffered a tumultuous early history before developing into a major fortification with extensive water defences.

    Margaret Clitherow (1556 – 25 March 1586) was an English saint and martyr of the Roman Catholic Church,[2] known as "the Pearl of York". She was pressed to death for refusing to enter a plea to the charge of harbouring Catholic priests. She was canonised in 1970 by Pope Paul VI.

    Guy Fawkes

    Guy took the name Guido during his time in Spain.

    1570AD - 1606AD

    On 5th November 1605 a York man, Guy Fawkes, was discovered about to ignite 36 barrels of gunpowder underneath the Houses of Parliament.  His aim was to spark a Catholic revolution.
    Read more