Satellite
  • Day 134

    Batalla de Flores

    February 10, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    It is the first day of Carnival. The celebration starts off firmly with the Battle of Flowers, which is the most important and most expected event. It is a great parade of floats, headed by the Carnival queen and followed by folkloric groups, disguises, cumbia groups and other dancing groups, winners of the last carnival's competitions. The Battle of Flowers is the oldest parade carried out in the Barranquilla Carnival, and was organised for the first time in 1903 following the general Heriberto Arturo Vengoechea's initiative, who was looking for a way to celebrate the end of the 1000 days war. With this event, the carnival resumed as it had been suspended since 1900.

    Initially, the Battle of Flowers was a stroll along the old "Camellón Abello", now Paseo de Bolívar, that opened two groups of people formed by members of rich families on carriages decorated with flowers. The historian and chronicler Alfredo de la Espriella described the first battle of flowers as a game in that two groups of people confronted each other by shooting flowers, plastic party streamers and confetti along a course extending a few miles. This battle finished with a peace gesture when both groups reconciled and went on to celebrate at Emiliano Vengoeachea theatre. Its success was such that the same battle was repeated the next year.

    It has been taking place along the Via 40 avenue since 1991, after having taken place along Olaya Herrera avenue, the 43 road and el paseo de Bolívar avenue. The floats now are equipped with loudspeakers and boarded by international and national singers who invites the spectators to celebrate and dance. Although the spectators are now accommodated in palcos (boxes), from where they watch the spectacle, they used to watch it on foot.
    Read more