Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Geelong

    February 23, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Well the weather started out glorious for our trip along the Great Ocean Road which was a great change from the storms of last year but although the weather made it so much better to drive and view the downside of it was that as the sun was out so were the people!! (We started at Allansford and ended at Torquay).Everywhere we stopped was so crowded and sometimes we were unable to stop as the car parks were already full. (We noted that after every car park there were road signs and arrows painted on the road to remind drivers that we drive on the left in Australia, looking out for the foreign drivers who might be enjoying the views so much that they forget where they are). After a few of these we decided to give up trying and just enjoy the drive,which was very scenic, sometimes from ocean views other times from the forest cover that the road passed through, the drive can be quite taxing as its only single lanes and most of the way overtaking is not allowed due to the winding nature of the road as it climbs and descends the hills along the coast, we passed through some very popular little towns along the way like Apollo bay, Kennett creek,Petticoat creek, Lorne and a few more!Everywhere was crowded with people out enjoying the sun and surf or posing at street side cafes and bars (oh how the sun brings out the poseurs).
    We stopped for a photo shot and the must have selfie at the Great Ocean Road commemorative arch before finishing the Ocean road trip at Torquay.
    We then only had a short drive to our campsite which is at the Geelong showgrounds where we will stay until Wednesday the day we catch the ferry to Tasmania.
    Read more