Satellite
  • Day 4

    Torrent Bay

    March 8, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Yet another 2 days of perfect weather. Warm but not hot. The obligatory morning walk along the beach before breakfast and before the water taxis bring in the tourists for their day trips. Quite a few books are being consumed by the 4 of us. The library has over 40 books to choose from and lots of magazines. That was one of the heavier boxes brought in on Saturday. Food and drink has been high class. A mix of Australian and Kiwi wines are tasted each day to mix with the lovely food.
    A few walks can be had from our base. There's a 3km stroll around the lagoon to Cleopatras pool. This is a favourite for the hikers. The pool boasts a natural rock water slide. The fresh water is very chilly but the the trampers love it. The sandflies also enjoy the additional bare skin for a feast. Another walk north along the Abel Tasman track to the Frenchmans Bay view. It's a great view down to the private bay with just one very impressive holiday home. There is a hidden track down to the bay but the owners use a boat for access. We kayaked into the bay a few years back for a closer look. Lotto winnings discussion continues to this day!
    We had another tryout with the paddle board. We both started on our knees and slowly progressed to standing. Regan is now up and paddling but still far from relaxed. Julie is close to being upright. We have a few more days left to master it. Nick managed a sail on the lagoon with the Laser. Just light winds but still a good speed.
    Phone and internet access is sparse. SMS and broadband can be found at one place on the beach but it's incredibly slow and sporadic. This is one part of our week away that we don't miss.
    Read more