Satellite
  • Day 70

    Halfway!

    October 2, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Today marks our 7th day in Hotel Stamford Plaza. Another work day and it definitely helps to keep us busy. We tend to do some long hours and starting 3 hours before our workmates gives us both some uninterrupted time to hit our tasks. Our days are normally broken with a knock on the door for food and coffee deliveries and our health check of course.

    The hotel has got a lot busier. Another plane load of inmates arrived this morning and swelled the population. There are now about 350 people incarcerated. This does cause a few issues with the lifts as only 1 bubble is allowed for each lift. We have waited up to 20 minutes for a vacant lift during busy times. The exercise slots have been extended due to popularity. But at least we can get fresh air out at the entrance near the smoking area. Another medical event today with a guest so we were asked to return to our room while the ambulance attended. It was not covid related evidently.

    Tomorrow is our first day off work so no big plans so far. We are slowly planning our days after release and will fly to Christchurch a couple of days after we leave the hotel. We are looking forward to normality of a cafe where we can sit down, no masks, and no takeaway coffee cups. Simple pleasures that we used to take for granted.
    Read more