Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Saturday in Villa de Leyva

    June 24, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    On Saturday morning (after some handball drills) we headed into the centre of town to explore, shop and have coffee. The huge cobbled Plazor Mayor (town square) is full of marquees and other crap for a cycling event - so those pictures have been ripped off the internet.

    The town was founded in 1572 with narrow cobbled roads radiating out from the Plazor Mayor. There was little development over the centuries so virtually all of the Colonial architecture was preserved. The town was declared a national monument in 1954. The surrounding landscape is spectacular and in the valley many dinosaur fossils have been unearthed. (Wikipedia)

    The town is very touristy by Colombian standards but is not in any way ruined by it. There are lots of courtyards with cafes, bars and restaurants.

    We went back to the house for lunch and had Nancy's delicious Aijaco which is a chicken soup served with maize (corn), rice, avocado and capers. Once the food coma wore off we had a swim.

    Dean and I lit the bbq and we had snags in bread (pan) for dinner, played music and some waited for the Collingwood game to start. Tomorrow we head back to Bogota. This really is a special place.
    Read more