Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The world is a museum

    February 22, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    We woke up (in the 6’s!!!!) to what I’d always imagined a typical cold London winter morning to look like. I think it’s fair to say that London might be even more magical with its stone architecture swamped by thick fog and the threat of rain hanging in the air. I say MIGHT, but my cheeks that started to grow icicles on them would probably disagree. Even Nick was a tad cold by night, and the worlds hottest kid (Audrey) finally put her Kathmandu on.
    So we decided to have an indoor day going to the Natural history museum and the science museum in Kensington. It turned out to be a really fantastic day- the kids were engrossed in so much of it (as were we larger humans)- the dinosaur 🦕 fossils were fab, and the taxidermy and Charles Darwin specimen collection had us having unexpired conversations about the logistics of taxidermy 🥴
    ‘This Charles guy’ (Olive), ‘he was the scientist in the wheelchair right mum?’ … no sweetheart… that was Steven Hawking (so maybe not everrrrrrything they learn is sinking in! The museum is a gorgeous gorgeous building that made us feel like we were roaming the corridors of Hogwarts.
    The girls have actually told me I have to stop saying ‘look at that beautiful building’ and ‘ohh I love this architecture’, because they are right, it makes me sound like a twerp 😜
    We wandered next door to the National
    Science museum (another amazingly gorgeous building 🙊) where the kids spent hours in the interactive part of the museum. Hands on science fun- interactive chemistry lesson with potions, physics with fire and explosions, slides to test gravity… Nick and I were in our nerdy happy place- and it seems it might have rubbed off a little on our kiddies.
    Kudos to the Britts- both museums were free (with tap and go stations encouraging donations everywhere- good on them!)
    It was the perfect way to spend a wet London day.
    … and the teachers should be happy…. Much learning had 👍🏻
    Read more