Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Flowerless gardens and afternoon magic

    February 23, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    Squeezing as much cheese and magic into this holiday as possible today! We set off exploring Covent Gardens today; a beautiful area known for its quirky shops, utterly hilarious and amazing street performers (they need to audition to be able to perform in the area), and lots of food! (And lots of amazing architecture… just saying…) we made Olive’s cheese dreams come true with a cheese train for lunch (yes, imagine sushi train, but beautiful local cheeses). Nick and I think we should open one in Aus. Olive told us we could buy it, she would run it and pay us $10 a week each to work for her….. sounds about right. But excited she has some entrepreneurial aspirations 🤣
    Then it was Auds turn to have her little dreams become reality- a trip to the wizard exploratorium, where witches and wizards (big and small) have a wandmaker help them create their very own magical wand (Auds is a 13” elder wand with a unicorn core- for all of you Harry Potter followers…) the girls had a magical time- Olive is now a sworn magical fan like her sister. She kept the poor wand maker for a long time asking him about the pixies in the building and exactly how would she go about avoiding them on the way out? The building is a 600 year old gem, with a 4 story creaky, windy staircase you had to climb to get to the dimly lit attic, fitted out with a classroom for wizards. It was pretty special; we couldn’t wipe the smile off Auds face. Both girls walked around London for the rest of the day with their wands out!
    We asked the girls if they could use their wands to tell us where to go next and Audrey said her wand said icecream, Olive’s said fairy floss… luckily we had magically anticipated this and low and behold there was an icecream shop 2 streets over that specialized in icecream fairy floss masterpieces (total parenting win… and cemented the girls belief that magic is possible!!)
    A twist of luck saw us finishing the magical day with last minute dirt cheap tickets to the West End show Wicked. Nick and I have seen this before, and loved it just as much the 2nd time around. The wicked witch was phenomenal. The girls were enthralled by the costumes and after a bit of explanation of the plot, really got into it. A very late night and the girls are (thankfully) still asleep as I’m writing this (8:20 am Friday morning).
    A truly magical and cheesy day had by all 🪄
    Read more