Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Madagascar - from luxury to poverty

    March 12, 2023, Mozambique Channel ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Nosy (Island) Ve a tiny sacred island about 1K long our first glimpse of Madagascar, the fifth poorest country made worse by a devastating cyclone. Music, outrigger canoes, colour and people greet us. People have come to to sell their wares but without currency we cannot buy anything.

    Our guided walk, hot and humid on a rocky path with no shade. We came to see the nesting red tailed tropic birds. We can walk very close to the nests seeing parents and chicks.

    Our next adventure the “Spiny forest“ Garden named for the Spiny cacti like plants used for many things such as fences. We see baobab trees several a hundred plus years old. The walk around the gardens was excellent, hot and humid but with shade, and flat paths. Wildlife included snakes, an iguana, lizards and many birds. The bus trip through the villages was fascinating we get a sense of everyday life. Bicycles/ pedal rickshaws are the main form of transport. Despite the poverty it was very clean, tidy and organised.

    We walk through Tulear and market. An unfortunate altercation with a pedal rickshaw sees me taken back to the ship. Medical staff look after me.
    Read more