Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Life on a five star floating hotel

    March 16, 2023 ⋅ ❄️ -1 °C

    Travelling with Ponant on similar ships lessens travel stress. Medical support and guides accompany us everywhere. What we have seen is quite exhilarating and tiring by day’s end. Lectures included geology (volcanic), listening to the melodious sounds of the ocean, culture and language, wildlife (including the life of a sea cucumber). There are daily briefings and recaps of what we have seen. Opportunities to speak with experts, on deck watch and identify birds.

    Time to enjoy life on board. We are always entertained with games or tempted with a chocolate afternoon tea with champagne, music and dancing. Then there are impromptu happenings. The captain bought himself an Outrigger Canoe and invited everyone outside by the pool where the canoe was displayed. He welcomed us and blessed the canoe of course with champagne. There is a formal white night dinner and we can arrange to have dinner with ship’s officers. We had the hotel manager and one of his staff.

    We signed up for a tour of the bridge, saw the array of screens and navigation equipment and learned about stabilisers. To our surprise we were also invited to the bridge to view the sail away at sunset. Champagne with the captain which of course he couldn't have as he was driving.
    Read more