Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Our next adventure begins

    December 23, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Overcast again and little to do except pack then a little last minute shopping. Boarded the ship around 4.30. After the mandatory lifejacket drill we are able to unpack and get ready for dinner. This isn't a formal dinner so I don't bother changing which is good. We leave Dunedin at 7pm.

    After dinner we decline the opportunity for entertainment and chose deck 6instead.. As Bob was on this ship just 6 weeks ago he knows many of the crew. Our young bartender comes to Bob and says would Sir like a cup of tea and a cognac. Of course he served Bob previously so knows this is what his evening requirements are. Of course we both have cognac and reflect how comfortable it feels to be back on board on a ship we know well. at 7pm.

    Christmas Eve we drop anchor close to Ulva island which is just off Stewart Island. A national park and in close to pristine condition. We have a gentle late start, an overview of our trip then Ulva island.

    Zodiac rides are always fun. Short ride to the island. It's a tranquil place and our 2k walk is on tracks through the bush. We see interesting fauna and flora. What really struck me were the sounds of so many birds, of course unfamiliar. Impossible to see as they blend in so well. We hear bellbirds and lots of Tui which are a slender black bird with what looks like a pom pom on its front. Tried to take a picture but didn't succeed. We did see an endangered Robin, nothing like our Robins. A grey, fluffy bird about the size of a Thrush. It was unperturbed by our presence. Our guide saw a nesting hollow and said if we wait quietly we will be rewarded as the bird will return to feed the chicks. We were rewarded seeing a Yellowhead return to her nest.

    I overdressed and by the end of the walk was hot. Need to sort out clothing, this is not the Artic, conditions are warmer.

    A highlight of these trips are always the lectures and have 15 naturalists this trip. Many French but many more Australian or New Zealand. They cover a wide range of specialist areas including geology, birds, of course and one was a vet. We also have someone from the Tasmanian wildlife conservation department and another person from the equivalent in New Zealand. Their presence on the ship is mandatory to ensure that we and the crew adhere to all the requirements for travel in this part of the world. Our first briefing is an overview of what to expect on the trip, particularly bio security. We are have a rundown of where we are going. The expedition leader tells us that more than a thousand people this year will reach the summit of Mount Everest, but fewer than a thousand people will go to Macquarie Island. We do hope to be fortunate enough to be able to land on Macquarie Island.
    Read more